Thursday, January 31, 2013

Accomplishment

"Mom! Mom, guess what!"

Ballet bag bouncing off her hip, she came flying into the night on a gust of cold wind. I bundled her into my arms. "What happened, sweetie?"

"I did my first passé stretch!"

"Oh, wow! Katherine, that's exciting!"

"I definitely did it. I mean, it's still a little crooked. It's new, you know? It's like a baby chick, just hatched. It's like, it's like -- well, it's like a wet handful. But I definitely did it! Right in the middle of class, I -- why are you laughing?"

"I'm just proud of you, sweetie," I said, pulling her closer. "I love the way you describe things. You make me so happy, sometimes I just have to laugh. Tell me all about it though. What happened right in the middle of class?"

7 comments:

  1. "well, it's like a wet handful" haha. perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call it 'smiling out loud' when I have to laugh at something they are saying to me.

    Congrats to the dancer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Emily, your stories about your two daughters always bring a sense of comfort and contention and peace to me. They are such lovely children--so expressive and so eager for life--and you are such a loving and creative mother. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the kind of moments you'll be so glad you have in writing. It's great that you enjoy them as you live them - you'll most likely enjoy them over and over again, someday. Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omyyygosh,
    she is def. her mother's daughter! Fabulous. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wet handful?! My but that is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, in other words, everyone in your family is either a poet or a little tiny poet? I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete