Saturday, January 3, 2009

Un po' di avventura



We thought the drive to Noto would be easy, even quick, but as I became increasingly carsick, Chris became increasingly convinced he was driving down a goat path. The roads were narrow, bumpy, and mostly unmarked. We snaked past cows and horses in their fields. I felt weak in the wrists, shaky, and something deep in my chest started to spin. My head felt heavy. My belly churned. I held my breath and closed my eyes.


The girls didn't notice. Penelope slept. Katherine soothed herself with whispered stories. We stopped for lunch in Palazzolo Acreide.


I don't think many English-speakers pass through Palazzolo Acreide, despite its status as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Women peeked at me curiously when I called to Katherine in the street. The cooks in the restaurant peered at us from behind the kitchen door. Other diners stopped at our table to say Buongiorno! in an exaggerated way. We drank sweet red wine and ate, sadly terrible, pasta. Afterward we pushed the stroller through a field of weeds, tall grass and wildflowers until we found a Greek theatre from 664 BC and the crumbled-down Temple of Aphrodite. My hair was blowing in a cold wind and while we walked, it started to rain. We went back to the car.


By the time we got to Noto, both the girls were sleeping. Chris and I admired the Baroque architecture from the front seat. We looked longingly at a place called the Cioccolato Bar and we reassured each other that next weekend we could come back and try it all again.

1 comment:

  1. On the bright side, at least K didn't get carsick, too. I'm surprised that you did and she didn't.

    The Cioccolato Bar sounds worth a return trip.

    ReplyDelete